Nursing Now is a global campaign to improve health by raising the status and profile of nursing. Nursing Now is a growing social movement with an active network of groups working to influence global and national policy. Today, there are 266 Nursing Now groups active in 89 countries (as of June 2019) with new groups registering and launching every month.
2020 is an opportunity to shine a spotlight on what nurses and midwives can do to achieve universal health coverage for all and to expand primary health care. We need to make a solid case to government leaders to invest in our professions as a way to achieving global health targets for our countries.
As research nurses we are in a unique position to work alongside each other and organisations like the International Council of Nurses to amplify our commitment, our voice and strengthen our quest to recognise our role in health research and thus ultimately in Health as a Human Right.
YOU, a Global Research Nurses member, are invited to build on our worldwide presence and take action, during the three year Nursing Now campaign, to introduce research to the communities we serve. Let us support our nurse leaders by creating opportunities for the development and skills development of research nurses in low resource settings.
It is essential that we unite to raise the profile and status of nursing throughout the year. We want to encourage more nurses into leadership positions, and ensure that nurses around the world have access to quality education and improved working conditions. This is our year so let’s make the most of it.
Nursing Now is a programme of the Burdett Trust for Nursing run in collaboration with the World Health Organization and the International Council of Nurses, and is supported by a Campaign Board made up of nurses and non-nurses from around the world.
Quick links to help you plan for 2020
- Key messages for 2020 Year of the Nurse and the Midwife
- Social media toolkit
- Share your plans for 2020 Year of the Nurse and the Midwife to the global timeline
- Listen again to the 2020 podcast hosted by Nursing Now with ICN and WHO
- 2020 resources and toolkit including posters, banners and a template letter
- Champions - find out what Nursing Now’s champions have to say about 2020
2020 - A year of action
Nursing Now is a global movement with over 480 groups in 110 countries marking 2020 International Year of the Nurse and the Midwife with activities throughout the year. We encourage every group to be bold and reach out beyond our profession to engage with national and local governments, other health professionals, the media, patients and the public to advocate on the issues critical in your country.
Key global moments include:
Nightingale Challenge gets underway
Launch of #NursingInFocus photography competition with Jhpeigo, ICN and Nursing Now
Global launch of State of the World’s Nursing
International Nurses Day and the 200th anniversary of the birth of Florence Nightingale, and 5 May is International Day of the Midwife.
World Health Assembly, Geneva
30 Aug-2 Sept
11th ICN NPAPN 2020 Conference, Halifax
Nightingale Challenge Mass Lobby
What can I do?
Here are a few ways you can get involved:
- Enlist your own champions - recruit your allies, both old and new, who will speak out in support of nursing. Contact leaders from health, sports, business and beyond who can use their influence to shine a light on nursing.
- Get active on social media - download the social media toolkit and graphics and get busy online.
- Organise your own programme of events throughout the year especially timed for the key global moments and share them with the world via the Nursing Now timeline.
- Get involved in organising policy dialogues and events to launch State of the World’s Nursing report.
- If you aren’t already in a Nursing Now group, find your local or national group and ask them how you can help. Don’t have a group? Then create your own Nursing Now group - visit our website for guidance.
- Let your media know - organise a round table for editors; encourage media to attend and cover your events.